The International Student Forum

Study Phd in USA after MBBS in UK

If you have a question about studying in the U.S.A. that you think only an international student adviser can answer - then look no further as we now have Jim Crawley, who has 13 years of international admissions experience and he is currently the Director of University Recruiting Initiatives for the ELS Language Centers here to answer your posts!

Moderator: crawleyj

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Study Phd in USA after MBBS in UK

Postby ukstudent100 » Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:56:53 -0500

I am just about to start a medicine degree (BM BCh equiv. to an MBBS) at Oxford University in the UK with the hope of doing a Phd at an american university after. In this degree I get the medicine degree and then a research-based masters of arts (MA). If I went straight over to the States after my medicine degree how long would the Phd take if I did it in a subject such as immunology or infectious-diseases (I'm thinking malaria or HIV maybe)? Would universities shorten the usual five years because I already have a masters that was research-based? And, is it possible for a student on an F-1 visa to get funding from the NIH?

Thanks for your help, and if anyone has any questions about studying in Britain please dont hesitate to message me.

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:40:30 -0500

Re: Study Phd in USA after MBBS in UK

Postby crawleyj » Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:41:33 -0500

I wish I had a good answer for you, but a medical school or graduate school woudl have to answer this, and the answer might vary depending on the instition and the specific degree.

I can tell you that it is extremely difficult for an international student to get admitted to medical school here. Only about 2% of international students who apply get offered a seat.

On the other hand a Ph'd in research in some science area would probably be easier, assuming you have rightbackground. Again, this is something the specific graduate school would have to answer.

I am not sure about whether NIH is available to international studebts doing research. You can again check with the academic department that you will be applying to.

Good luck.
Jim Crawley
Director of University Partner Relations
ELS Language Centers
International Advisor
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:15:25 -0500

Return to “%s” Ask a USA International Advisor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests