The International Student Forum

Studying in Kentucky

If you have a question about studying in the U.S.A. that you think only an international student adviser can answer - then look no further as we now have Jim Crawley, who has 13 years of international admissions experience and he is currently the Director of University Recruiting Initiatives for the ELS Language Centers here to answer your posts!

Moderator: crawleyj

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Studying in Kentucky

Postby adamsm » Sat, 03 Mar 2007 02:08:05 -0500

I'm 25yrs and from Switzerland. I really dont know much about the scholarships procedures in the US. I have no idea where to start. :cry:

- Do I have to find a college first and then apply for a scholarship? Or do i need a Scholarship first and then choose a school?

-I seen on some scholarships online saying : deadline 1 march 07 , what does that means, are these scholarships for the Fall 07?

- I plan on staying with my boyfriend (US citizen) while studying in the US . Is that a problem when i tell the immigration officer that i will be living with my boyfriend? Could it cause a denial?

-After i start a College in KY, can I change Colleges in another state with the same Visa ?

Thank you for your time


Mireille Adams
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:56:19 -0500
Yahoo Messenger: mireille_c_adams
Location: Switzerland

reply to Mireille

Postby crawleyj » Sat, 17 Dec 2016 05:43:19 -0500

Thank you for using the web site.

Most of the time when an international student gets a scholarship it is from the college or university that they have been admitted to. Not all institutions offer scholarships so you will need to do a little research and find out if the schools you are interested in have anything to offer and if so, what are the qualifications and how much is it worth if you get one.

Please keep in mind that most awards are partial awards so you will still generally need to pay 50-80% of the cost even if you get a scholarship. Once in a while you might find a bigger award that is given to an exceptional student.

Yes, when a deadline is listed on literature or a webs ite, it generally means that is the deadline for upcoming Fall Semester.

Yes, you might have a problem with your student visa interview if you indicate that you are going to live with your boyfriend who is a U.S. citizen. That information is better off not said. If they ask if you have relatives in the US you need to answer that honestly. Do not volunteer anything that is not asked for, however, do not lie either.

You can change schools within the U.S. As long as apply to and are admitted to a new school, you can transfer after finishing at least one semester at the first school.

I hoep that helps. Please feel free to ask further questions of me at If you do, please make reference to this site and our "conversation" so I remember the context of what we were discussing.


Last bumped by adamsm on Sat, 17 Dec 2016 05:43:19 -0500.
Jim Crawley
Director of University Partner Relations
ELS Language Centers
International Advisor
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 08:15:25 -0500

Return to “%s” Ask a USA International Advisor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest