The International Student Forum

Can an F-1 student take just ONLINE courses? help

If you have a question about studying in the U.S.A. that you think only an international student adviser can answer - then look no further as we now have Jim Crawley, who has 13 years of international admissions experience and he is currently the Director of University Recruiting Initiatives for the ELS Language Centers here to answer your posts!

Moderator: crawleyj

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Can an F-1 student take just ONLINE courses? help

Postby justme2015 » Wed, 06 May 2015 12:13:26 -0500

Good day!

I am currently in US. I am on H4 visa which is about to expire. I am thinking of studying but I have to shift to F1 visa for that. I am turning 21 that is why my H4 will no longer be valid.

Now, my problem is I have no driver's license yet and I have to actually depend on my mother future workplace in deciding where to study.
I am thinking that it would be better for me to study purely online in a university offering online courses so that I will not have problems on transportation and so I can start applying as early as now, and not only when my mom has finally find a new place to work.

But, I need that university offering online course to also be a university that will issue I-20 so I can apply for F1 because I can no longer stay with my mother for long in H4 visa. More than studying online, I really want to stay here with my mother but I want it to be legal and right. IS it possible for me to apply for F1 visa and take purely ONLINE classes?

I really need answer to this. Most Universities that I called that are purely online does not know anything about I-20 and F1 visa... so I am thinking that maybe F1 visa is really only for students who are gonna take classes on campus.

I need an answer. Thank you.
justme2015

Return to “%s” Ask a USA International Advisor