Discussion forum for international students regarding study in Australia

Moderator: StudentGuru

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Homestay could be a bad idea!

Postby thuderdragon » Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:31:20 -0500

“Homestay means living with an Australian family and immersing yourself in the Australian way of life. Homestay can be either a “room only” arrangement or “full board” where the host family provides meals. For many parents of international students, homestay means security as their children are living at home with responsible adults. Homestay is often arranged through the education institution to ensure that students are placed with an appropriate family. This is often a good option for younger students including high school students and English language students. Homestay fees are from around $110 to $270 a week”

That is an advertisement I read before I came to Australia to study. The agent helped me to apply for my school also recommended me to stay in a homestay accommodation to improve my English and experience Australian culture. Using homestay service, I would learn many things about Australia lifestyle, I don’t have to worry about meals, washing your clothes, bills. Does it sound very good to a student who will be far away from home in the first time? Once, I arrived there, my dreams were broken. It was going smoothly in the first few days and I really liked them until one day. I have no idea why my host doesn’t like Asian and what China and Chinese did to Graham – the host that makes him hate Chinese too much. Almost very dinner, he would attack the Chinese living in China and Chinese living in Australia by call them monkeys. He told me a story about a conversation between an Aussie man and a Chinese man about using chopsticks. Here goes the story.

A Chinese man and an Aussie man met each other at a shopping center. The Chinese man was proud of his culture and the ability of using chopsticks to eat, he laughed the Aussie man because Aussie man couldn’t use chopsticks. Aussie man was hurt and he fought back Chinese man by telling whether he knows some monkeys know how to use a stick to hook out insects living in a rotten wood to eat. Then he asked the Chinese man.
-What do you use to eat?
Chinese man was trapped by answering.
- Chopsticks! Of course!
Aussie man felt happy because Chinese man was felt into his trap. Happily he said to the yellow man.
-See! Monkeys use stick to eat. You also use chopstick to eat. What is the different between you and the monkeys? You are monkeys!
Chinese man was angry but he couldn’t find any word to fight back. He just walked away. Bad day for you idiot yellow!

We laughed after he finished the story but we had different comments about the story. For him, he was happy because the Chinese man felt ashamed of losing the argument. Personally, I think that Chinese man worth that. He shouldn’t think his culture is number one and another culture is number ten. He should realize that he is living in a multi-culture country which was built by the Australian not Chinese. However, if I were that Chinese man, the conversation wouldn’t be finished like that I would attack him until he loose the argument. I would have told the Aussie man that if a monkey knew how to use a stick to eat, I would be a skilled monkey because I use two stick to eat and it’s more difficult than using one stick. And you, you are a monkey too because we are genus and you can’t use any stick to eat that means you worse than a real monkey and double worse than me – a skilled monkey. Does it make sense to you?
I share my experience here to help students who is on the way to Australia to study and considering a homestay accommodation. Homestay is good, you will experience a lot. All my friends who do homestay have very good relationships with the host and have a lot of good time there. In my case, homestay is a horrible experience that I will never forget for the rest of my life. you should choose to stay in your school's hostel for awhile, if you don't like you could move to a student share house.
thuderdragon

Re: Homestay could be a bad idea!

Postby jsn » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 08:27:40 -0500

i'm an Asia and from this story i still think the chinese man is the one at fault.
jsn

Postby edcel » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 10:33:27 -0500

thuderdragon wrote:“Homestay means living with an Australian family and immersing yourself in the Australian way of life. Homestay can be either a “room only” arrangement or “full board” where the host family provides meals. For many parents of international students, homestay means security as their children are living at home with responsible adults. Homestay is often arranged through the education institution to ensure that students are placed with an appropriate family. This is often a good option for younger students including high school students and English language students. Homestay fees are from around $110 to $270 a week”

That is an advertisement I read before I came to Australia to study. The agent helped me to apply for my school also recommended me to stay in a homestay accommodation to improve my English and experience Australian culture. Using homestay service, I would learn many things about Australia lifestyle, I don’t have to worry about meals, washing your clothes, bills. Does it sound very good to a student who will be far away from home in the first time? Once, I arrived there, my dreams were broken. It was going smoothly in the first few days and I really liked them until one day. I have no idea why my host doesn’t like Asian and what China and Chinese did to Graham – the host that makes him hate Chinese too much. Almost very dinner, he would attack the Chinese living in China and Chinese living in Australia by call them monkeys. He told me a story about a conversation between an Aussie man and a Chinese man about using chopsticks. Here goes the story.

A Chinese man and an Aussie man met each other at a shopping center. The Chinese man was proud of his culture and the ability of using chopsticks to eat, he laughed the Aussie man because Aussie man couldn’t use chopsticks. Aussie man was hurt and he fought back Chinese man by telling whether he knows some monkeys know how to use a stick to hook out insects living in a rotten wood to eat. Then he asked the Chinese man.
-What do you use to eat?
Chinese man was trapped by answering.
- Chopsticks! Of course!
Aussie man felt happy because Chinese man was felt into his trap. Happily he said to the yellow man.
-See! Monkeys use stick to eat. You also use chopstick to eat. What is the different between you and the monkeys? You are monkeys!
Chinese man was angry but he couldn’t find any word to fight back. He just walked away. Bad day for you idiot yellow!

We laughed after he finished the story but we had different comments about the story. For him, he was happy because the Chinese man felt ashamed of losing the argument. Personally, I think that Chinese man worth that. He shouldn’t think his culture is number one and another culture is number ten. He should realize that he is living in a multi-culture country which was built by the Australian not Chinese. However, if I were that Chinese man, the conversation wouldn’t be finished like that I would attack him until he loose the argument. I would have told the Aussie man that if a monkey knew how to use a stick to eat, I would be a skilled monkey because I use two stick to eat and it’s more difficult than using one stick. And you, you are a monkey too because we are genus and you can’t use any stick to eat that means you worse than a real monkey and double worse than me – a skilled monkey. Does it make sense to you?
I share my experience here to help students who is on the way to Australia to study and considering a homestay accommodation. Homestay is good, you will experience a lot. All my friends who do homestay have very good relationships with the host and have a lot of good time there. In my case, homestay is a horrible experience that I will never forget for the rest of my life. Perhaps, when you choose a homestay accommodation you should avoid this address : 15 Belvedere Ave, Wheelers Hill 3150 , Melbourne, Australia, you won’t learn anything there for sure. Perhaps, you should choose to stay in your school's hostel for awhile, if you don't like you could move to a student share house.

aww... this is a horrible experience. :oops:

and how can we eliminate racism? (or better yet face a blatant discrimination?)

well, we must be in our best self and defend for what we believe. :wink:
edcel

Postby Cratk » Sat, 21 May 2011 08:34:07 -0500

Hi,

I am posting on here because I also had a bad homestay experience in Brisbane. I am an Australian citizen and found a place on www.gumtree.com.au which I needed short term while I looked for somewhere longer term for myself and my boyfriend. I was only staying on a week by week basis.

After a week they kicked me out because I had my boyfriend stay over once or twice while we looked for places during the day and the father of the house (he had one teenage daughter and 3 older sons) said he didn't like my boyfriend staying when his teenage daughter was alone in the house. I found it incredibly rude because the weekend I stayed there the parents went away and the kids (who were all adults) had lots of male and female friends over). Also the mother kept coming into my room when I was out.

These people had no respect for myself and treated me like I was less than their own children even though I was paying almost $200 week for their room (minus food).

Just be aware, it was in Spring Hill, Brisbane.
Cratk

Postby bubblebeurk » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:59:34 -0500

I would like to say that I had experienced both: a good host family a really bad one. So I say that's always the same but you have to be really carefull and sometimes it's better to live on your own than thinking you'll feel better with a family you don't know. I found my bad one on a website and seriously, the ad was not what the reality was. Just saying...
Although you go through all these kind of procedures with an organisation, make sure they do their job as you can fall in a family that isn't that great (or the organisation's representant won't do his/her job!)

I'm sorry for not developping much but I don't have much time right now however I really wanted to give my point of vue as I had to go through some hard time (lawyer and threatening!)
bubblebeurk

Postby KyleSmith » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 02:58:01 -0500

I've already experienced both and so far, my experience on both are great. I have not encountered any problems. I guess it also depends on how you handle situations. Its all up to you. Trust your instinct. That's all I can say. I've stayed at hotel at Penang
KyleSmith

Postby hunt » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 01:42:19 -0500

Thanks for the post, was looking for this information!
hunt

Return to “%s” Study in Australia