The International Student Forum

Ordering stuff from eBay/Amazon/Taobao in the UK

Discussion Forum for international students regarding study in the United Kingdom.

Moderator: studyabroaduk

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Ordering stuff from eBay/Amazon/Taobao in the UK

Postby bartimeaus » Fri, 24 Apr 2015 02:19:59 -0500

I'm going to start my studies in UK very soon, previously I have been doing some studies in Australia so I am aware of the procedures related to ordering things online primarily the value of the items and their corresponding tax.

I have just checked the tax and customs website and there are some bits that I am not clear.

Is there a difference between VAT and customs duty? If so, does that mean that on top of the mandatory VAT charges on items that I order overseas, I might be liable to pay for customs duty as well?

Also, relating to customs duty. It seems that for items of value <£135, there will not be any duty charger but from £135-£630 there might be up to 2.5% charged. The most confusing part is "unless the duty comes to less than £9". Assuming that 2.5% duty holds true, this now means for items <£360 there won't be any duties?
bartimeaus

Return to “%s” Study in the UK