The International Student Forum

University of Manchester or University of Glasgow

Discussion Forum for international students regarding study in the United Kingdom.

Moderator: studyabroaduk

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

University of Manchester or University of Glasgow

Postby WillyH » Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:38:53 -0500

Hello everyone:

I am currently under pressure to make a choice between two different Master programs. Both are in social sciences: specifically, one is MA Political Economy (University of Manchester) and the other one is MSc Global Economy (University of Glasgow). Both Masters are similar. The thing is that if I am not wrong, the University of Manchester is more prestigious, particularly in this field; but on the other hand, the Master I have been admitted to in the University of Glasgow is more oriented to further study (possibly, a PhD). Thus, statistical methods seem to be of greater relevance in the Glasgow program than in the Manchester program. All in all, I have some of questions.

- First, "ceteris paribus", which university do you consider to be better in social sciences? Why?

- Second, what would you value more, the prestige of the University or the weight of statistical methods, if you wanted to take a PhD?

- Third, could you please add ANY other relevant information for me to take the "best" option (if there is really a best)?

My background is Political Science (4 years, in Spain). Thank you all.

:)
WillyH

Return to “%s” Study in the UK