The International Student Forum

Ask us anything about studying in the UK

Discussion Forum for international students regarding study in the United Kingdom.

Moderator: studyabroaduk

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Ask us anything about studying in the UK

Postby Benjamin » Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:54:49 -0500

We are a group of 15 British Council international student ambassadors studying in the UK.
There are three of us from each of the following countries and regions: USA, India, Singapore, Hong Kong and Nigeria.
If you’re from one of these areas we can answer questions about studying in Britain – anything from ‘how do I apply for a visa’ to ‘what is the food like’.
Good luck with your studies… and ask us anything!
:)
Benjamin

Re: Ask us anything about studying in the UK

Postby olabanji john » Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:10:56 -0500

my name is olabanji john, am from nigeria pls I just want to know all necessary step to be taking. thanks
olabanji john

Postby Scathach » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 02:27:42 -0500

Hullo!
This is mainly directed at the students from India.
First, are you guys doing an undergraduate course or a postgraduate one? (Sorry if I seem a bit blunt, I'm just curious is all since it might help you understand my perspective better. :D)
And considering how expensive a proposition it is to study in the UK, is it wise to study UG (as opposed to PG) when the area I'm studying might require further study for me to be employable?
Also wondering, though this might be out of your area of expertise, do you know if it is harder for a journalist/ writer to get work in England if they are foreigners and from a non-English speaking country?
The subjects I'm interested in are Creative Writing and English Lit., if it helps! Oh! Are your chances of getting onto the English Lit. courses slimmer if you're from a non-English speaking country? ( Well, technically, English IS the official language of India.)

That's it for now. Sorry if my questions were rather inane!
Thanks a bunch.
Spandana
Scathach

Postby gurpreet24 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 03:36:13 -0500

i have got offer letter from bedforshire university for msc business and management.. but i am confused of opting for uk because of strict visa rules.. is it wise to go to uk under new visa rules....???????? my course duration is from april 2012 to july 2013.. so how much time will i get after my course is completed and also what step should i take next?
gurpreet24

Postby mikehenry » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 05:40:21 -0500

Benjamin wrote:We are a group of 15 British Council international student ambassadors studying in the UK.
There are three of us from each of the following countries and regions: USA, India, Singapore, Hong Kong and Nigeria.
If you’re from one of these areas we can answer questions about studying in Britain – anything from ‘how do I apply for a visa’ to ‘what is the food like’.

Please what are the funding opportunities available for students from Nigeria.IS there any at all? If they are please how can I locate them.Thanks
mikehenry

Postby mikehenry » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 05:44:50 -0500

@Benjamin:Please what are the funding opportunities available for students from Nigeria who wants to undertake their Masters Degree Program?Are there any at all? If they are please how can I locate them.Thanks
mikehenry

Postby jerrywilson0909 » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:27:15 -0500

i have built a new topic about my questions in the forum, but it seems that nobody had given me any answers, so i have to ask u the same question for help, following is the topic copied directly

I finally decide to go abroad for further English-language education. IMO, UK is the best choice as it's the cradle of English, and it allows me to get a Master's degree in only one year, saving me much time and money.

Here is the basic information about me:

Girl, from China, major in English, Bachelor degree

I'd like to know:

1st Which college(s)/university in UK has the most successful courses in English Linguistics
2nd the Location, Climate, Custom and so on
3rd How much Pounds will it be in tuition and cost of living per year
4th What about the Scholarship and how to apply for?

Any suggestions will be appreciated Many thx
jerrywilson0909

Postby leftycusp » Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:20:09 -0500

Benjamin wrote:We are a group of 15 British Council international student ambassadors studying in the UK.

Hi,
I'm from India,currently studying in the 12th grade,and am looking at pursuing under graduation in the UK.I want to study Law,and would like to know what scholarships are available for Indian students interested in pursuing law at an undergraduate level in the UK?
leftycusp

Postby t.o-rose » Sun, 06 May 2012 02:02:21 -0500

Hello Everyone!

Below I have answered all your individual questions.

Olabanji John: Hi Olabanji! You can find out all the necessary steps to you need to take in order to study in the UK at: http://www.ucas.com/students/wheretosta ... kstudents/ . UCAS is the organisation responsible for managing applications to higher education courses in the UK. At the above link you will find everything you need to know as an international student.

Spandana: Good day Spandana! Your question regarding opting for undergraduate or postgraduate study is indeed a good one, but I think is a decision best left to yourself, personally I feel that the experience in itself is priceless. On the other hand it is important to consider the finances involved in studying abroad. Contact me and I will assist you in getting a discount on your tuition fees!
Getting a job as a journalist/writer in the UK as with most other jobs is more to do with ability and expertise as opposed to nationality. If a employer perceives your skills to be relevant to the job there is no reason your nationality should be of any relevance.
Naturally to get on a course such as Creative Writing and English Lit. you will have to demonstrate an excellent command of the English language, and judging from your writing, is no issue for you!
The universities/colleges that you pick should tell you what standard of English they require for the specific course. If English isn't your first language most unis will require you to have a qualification in English or to take a specified test in English. This link (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... h-language ) provides you with the English language requirements for international students looking to study in the UK.

gurpreet24: Greetings Gurpreet24! I am not sure of the specifics regarding your situation, you specified that your course runs over 12 months; under the student VISA you're permitted to stay for the entire duration of the degree plus an additional four months. To be sure of the circumstances relating to yourself then visit: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... how-long/#

mikehenry: Hello mikehenry! On this link (http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/source_funding.php) you can find the sorts of funding that may be available to you. I understand that studying in the UK as an international student can be extremely costly! Contact me on the email address provided below and I can assist in getting you a discount on your educational fees!

jerrywilson0909: Salutations jerrywilson0909! In answering your first question you can find rankings of universities regarding the course you want to study on this website: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.c ... s/rankings.
Admittedly the weather in the UK isn't the best and you can expect all four seasons in one day, but you'll get use to it! Your tuition fees will be dependant on the university you choose. So if you have found a university that you'd like to attend visit their website and check how much they require for studying. Scholarship information can be found on the link I specified for mikehenry (sorry I was not able to copy and paste it here, the maximum number of URLS allowed is only 5!)

leftycusp: Hello leftycusp! Information on how to go about receiving a scholarship can be found on the link I specified for mikehenry!

I hope I have answered your questions efficiently. You probably have more questions please feel free to contact me via email (t.o-rose at hotmail dot com (apologies for the weird format I was limited on the amount of URLs I could use!) at any time and I will assist you the best way I can, I can also assist in providing you discounts on your tuition fees.

Best Wishes,
T.O Rose
t.o-rose

Postby Harshada » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:40:46 -0500

Hi!
I am from India and have recieved an offer letter from London School of Business and Finance to study their Global MBA programme in International Business. Along with that I have also recieved a scholarship of 6000 pounds. Now my tuition fees sums upto 8250 pounds. However due to the strict Visa laws in UK I am forced to reconsider my decision.
Could you please suggest if I should go with the offer or try for Australia??
Help

-Harshada :-?
Harshada

Postby louisgeorge » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:44:19 -0500

Hello Benjamin ...you guys are doing good job .. i appreciate you ....
louisgeorge

Postby tbcuso4 » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 05:07:35 -0500

Hey there,

I am applying to certain universities in UK for undergraduate studies in Media and culture.
University of Sussex and Newcastle University are the colleges that I really hope to get into.
Provided the high tuition fee, what is the social scene like? Can I get a certain idea of what the cost of things, say accommodation, grocery and transport, is like?
Are there any scholarships or waivers provided for international students?
What about part time jobs? Is it possible for a student to get a work permit for the same? Rather, is a work permit necessary?
What are the basic visa requirements? Will I be able to find host families during my stay there?
I recall speaking to Mr. Charles Lavery during a guest lecture, and he mentioned that the chances of employment for a journalist is slowly deteriorating in Britain. I would really appreciate it if you threw some light on the same.
I apologize for hoarding you with questions all at once.
I would be really grateful if you can help me through this.

Thank you!
Aditi
tbcuso4

Postby shinobido92 » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 01:43:16 -0500

Hi all, I am a Vietnamese student and currently study the 3rd year at my university in Vietnam. I have heard information about studying at Gloucestershire in UK however, that university just provides BA degree for students and it does not directly teach them during the studying period. Instead, students have to study at School of Business and Law which is located in the center of London(but will still gain the degree of Gloucestershire). So my question is that can anybody give me more information about this SBL university in terms of quality of teaching and should I enroll in this course plz. I am very appreciate and thanks all.
shinobido92

Postby urielgolab » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 01:46:44 -0500

Hi everyone there. I hope this post isnt just another reapeated one in the forum, but maybe there will be some diferences with my idea of beeing an abroad international student in the UK, so i decided to wrote it.

My Name is Uriel Golab, actually im a student in Informatics System Engeneer at Universidad Tecnológica Nacional (UTN) in Buenos Aires, running the carrier for the last year, of the six year total.
In Argentina, we do not have 3-year bachelord degrees, like US or most of European countries does. Every carrear has both bachelord and spetialization toghether and runs from 4 to 7 years at minimum.

As i said, im about to finish mine. This last year consist of getting specialization in subjecs that like me the most so i can choose my own path between a bunch of offered courses.
Since a few days i was thinking that before stop beeing a student i would love to have an student exchange experience in some english speaking country, and as im an EU citizen, UK was the first one that come to my mind.

Resuming, i would like to find subjects related to my carrer and course 2 or 3 subjects in a semester.
Also, i should make an english course before starting them.

I've been reading this page http://uk.internationalstudent.com/study_uk/ but havent found nothing about courses of my interest.

Does anyone know if its possible what i would like to do? And where should i start looking for.

Thank you all!
urielgolab

Postby JenCook » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 03:28:43 -0500

What are food and housing costs like if students choose to live off-campus? I'm wondering whether a willingness to commute to school could save someone a few thousand dollars (or pounds) over the course of a semester.
JenCook

Return to “%s” Study in the UK