The International Student Forum

Try to communicate with your professor

Discussion Forum for international students regarding study in the US.

Moderator: Annemarie

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Try to communicate with your professor

Postby ragad521 » Thu, 19 May 2016 05:13:22 -0500

Dear fellow international students,
Studying abroad can be tough sometime, especially if English is your second language. The language barrier can cause some misunderstandings, and in the beginning you may feel many cultural habits that vary from your own.

Due to cultural differences, “Foreign student affairs” declares, some international students prefer not to go to office hours unless they are required to, as in some cultures, professors and students rarely interact directly (Kisch 46). Be that as it may, from my own experience as an international student form Saudi Arabia in the U.S, I found that if students communicate with their professors, they understand the assignments and tests better because the students know exactly what the professor expects from them.

Many students across the world have a certain image of professors and instructors, that they’re mean or unhelpful. Nevertheless, there are some very understanding professors, as stated in “A Phenomenological Study on International Doctoral Students' Acculturation Experiences at a U.S. University" (Campbell). “Darika, ‘my professor had a lot of experience with international students and he understood my cultural and social difficulties’”. With that being stated, communicating with your professor or instructor about some academic barriers might help you improve.

All in all, always keep in mind that professors are there to teach and help you understand. International students should try to communicate with their professors in order to understand the requirements of the classes they are taking that would lead them to receive better grades paving the path to academic success.
I hope that my own experience and insight helps you with your academics and hopefully leads you to success.
Sincerely,
Ragad Albaker
ragad521

Re: Try to communicate with your professor

Postby Bonita32 » Mon, 15 Aug 2016 04:23:50 -0500

I can totally agree that students even SHOULD talk to their teachers, so they'll know better what do profs expect from them and as well they'll be able to ask something or verify some points. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. You are studying so that's not a shame to ask some questions.
Bonita32

Return to “%s” Study in the USA