The International Student Forum

OPT - Can i start work before the designated valid date?

Got any immigration questions for the USA? Post them here for all to help answer!

Moderator: Bobby Chung

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

OPT - Can i start work before the designated valid date?

Postby aceman » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:02:12 -0500

Hi, about a month ago I graduated from my MBA program and have an approved OPT work permit. I also just got a very good 3 month internship offer at a great company, excited about the opportunity. Since the length is only 3 months, the expiration of the OPT is not an issue at all. I will be paid a very good salary with this position.

The company really wants me to start July 7th, and I have already told them I would, I didn't think there are any problems. I signed the offer letter and sent it back.

However, I just realized the start date on my OPT card is July 28th, a random date my school advisor picked out.

Is this going to be a problem? I do not want to jeopardize this great opportunity because of a random date someone else picked out for me...I know that the company needs to file I9 and W2 forms with the government and I don't want them to be liable for anything or get in trouble. However it will be very hard to move the start date.

I've heard people can volunteer for free or something, but as I mentioned I am getting paid. Does the government even care that the start date is a couple weeks off?

Thanks!
aceman

Re: OPT - Can i start work before the designated valid date?

Postby pyroz » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:24:29 -0500

I think this is quite late for me to post a response, but unfortunately, no you cannot get paid for the days you work before the start date of your OPT date. I had a similar situation too, where I got a job offer but my OPT doesn't start until exactly one month later. This has cost me my job offer and I got replaced by someone...

The field I am pursuing is a highly popular and difficult one to break into as well. I cannot understand how the US government can make our live here so difficult when we paid so much money to study in the US already... But obviously the locals will always have the advantage first.

I am not sure how is your situation now but I hope you manage you keep your job. :) I'm back at sweating away about landing on a 2nd job offer before my OPT expires.
pyroz

maillot barcelone 2011

Postby mailotPaf » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:56:53 -0500

Hello! I've been following your web site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the good work! maillot france pas cher I constantly emailed this web site post page to all my contacts, as if like to read it then my contacts will too. Vente nouveau maillot psg 2014 pas cher Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to shoot you an e-mail. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.
[url=http://www.cwstudio.it/fr/maillot-equipe-de-france-pas-cher/]Maillot France Pas Cher[/url]
mailotPaf

Website: http://www.marseilleforum.com/honeypot/maillot-equipe-de-france-pas-cher.html

Return to “%s” Immigration Issues