The International Student Forum

OPT expiring

Got any immigration questions for the USA? Post them here for all to help answer!

Moderator: Bobby Chung

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

OPT expiring

Postby jumps95 » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:12:39 -0500

Hi,

I have an OPT that is expiring in august 2009. I have a feeling I chose the wrong major. I can't find any enjoyment from the job opportunities. Therefore I plan to go back to school to study a subject still related to kinesiology but in a new profession.

I would like to eventually apply for an H-1B visa. If I were to earn an associate's degree with my new career (let's say radiologic tech), would I still be eligible for an H-1B visa? I do have a bachelor's in kinesiology (sport psychology emphasis) which is somewhat related to health care.

Thanks
jumps95

Re: OPT expiring

Postby kewlbreeze » Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:29:38 -0500

This happens in US most of the time:

Students complete their graduation and get their OPT status from the university and they mostly do not get placed in their own field but some also get placed via campus placements by many direct clients. But since the OPT is valid only for 1 year, they "lay-off" these students from their companies after it expires, as these companies does not wish to sponsor H1B for them. Therefore in the last moment these students struggle to get an OPT-extension by finding a job immediately and if they don't, they have the only option to go back to their home country.

This could be avoided if the students are offered job and their H1Bs are filed in order to stay in US. But only consultancies(not all) do this by sponsoring H1B to F1/CPT/OPT students by getting them a job offer.

normally many are not aware of this and finally end up in trouble in the last moment when their OPT is about to expire.

Its always good to approach some consultancies (e-Verified) to find them jobs and sponsor H1B so that you may not be in a position to goback to your home country being jobless!!!!

Regards,
:)
kewlbreeze

Postby baklazanek » Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:45:39 -0500

kewlbreeze wrote:This happens in US most of the time:

Students complete their graduation and get their OPT status from the university and they mostly do not get placed in their own field but some also get placed via campus placements by many direct clients. But since the OPT is valid only for 1 year, they "lay-off" these students from their companies after it expires, as these companies does not wish to sponsor H1B for them. Therefore in the last moment these students struggle to get an OPT-extension by finding a job immediately and if they don't, they have the only option to go back to their home country.

This could be avoided if the students are offered job and their H1Bs are filed in order to stay in US. But only consultancies(not all) do this by sponsoring H1B to F1/CPT/OPT students by getting them a job offer.

normally many are not aware of this and finally end up in trouble in the last moment when their OPT is about to expire.

Its always good to approach some consultancies (e-Verified) to find them jobs and sponsor H1B so that you may not be in a position to goback to your home country being jobless!!!!

Regards,
:)

I didnt know thats so common...

Postby qudsia » Fri, 02 Jan 2015 11:40:49 -0500

All I want to study higher degree of my education course was in Australia. Anyone knows the requirements there in getting a scholarship?
sara
qudsia

Return to “%s” Immigration Issues