The International Student Forum

Ask our Immigration Attorney

Got any immigration questions for the USA? Post them here for all to help answer!

Moderator: Bobby Chung

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby StudentGuru » Sat, 07 Apr 2007 08:56:18 -0500

We welcome to the boards Mr. Bobby Chung!

Bobby Chung is a U.S. immigration attorney with offices in the Los Angeles, California area. Before entering private practice, Mr. Chung served as an Attorney Advisor with the U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review. Mr. Chung assists U.S. immigration clients in all 50 states and at U.S. embassies world-wide.

If you have an immigration related question/ issue please post it on the board and Mr Chung will post back his comments and offer his services to you.

For more information, please also visit his website at:
Get social and join in the fun:

Follow us on Twitter -
Comment on my blog -
Become a Facebook Fan -
User avatar
International Guru
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:29:33 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby hich » Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:46:06 -0500

i hav a question for yu mr bobby chung my case like that i hav visa student for 4 years i made transfert to another school i m still learniing english esl program my question is . can i take vacation and go home i hav vacation in decembre and i want see family ...
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:28:00 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby joy ongy » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 04:14:05 -0500


I would like to share with you my dilemma's before i ask you a few question. My boyfriend is an international students in California. His been in school for 1 year. Our semester in college is going to end on December of this month. Since he was in college, his been paying a lot of money because he is not a legal resident. I don't want him to pay too much money for his tuition in school. If we get married this month, is their any way that he can go to school without paying huge amount of money? since i am just a legal resident, is there anyway that he can go to school for as long as he want and not pay a lot of money after we get married?

Or is their anyway for him to apply for a legal resident here in the u.s?
if so, how long does it takes for him to become a legal resident?
if so, how much does it cost for him to do apply for a legal resident?
if so, do we have to see a lawyer for that?
is there any simple and easy way to solve this problem?

Please, tell me what i should do to keep this person with me.
joy ongy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 03:45:22 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby adam156 » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 10:15:01 -0500

I like da openiun.great work done by you.
i really like your work.
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 10:10:35 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby Thays » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:35:11 -0500

What if I am already in the U.S for some years and got into a high school where i have a year more to go but I pretend to go to university but Im a immigrant and want a opportunity to get into to it, and i want support what should i do? Is there a student visa provided to that case? And if there it is what should I do, where i have to go..???
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:21:34 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby shis77 » Wed, 22 Dec 2010 04:31:18 -0500

I'm currently under B1 Visa and am in the process of COS to M-1. My school starts at the end of next month (jan 2011) but i still don't have an interview date. vie already paid for school and the whole m-1 document submission up front, considering all that and the fact that i'm under going process to obtain an m-1 visa, is it popsicle to start school under these circumstances?

an honest reply would be appreciated
marrry xmas
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 04:23:46 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby Hamad » Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:51:58 -0500

Hi there

I'm an international student from Qatar and I have a question:
I have I-20 to study English course for two monthes. If I finished these two monthes I will go to another university to study bachelor degree for 4 years. So should I change the visa, and where to change it?

Please I need the answer to my qustion.
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:55:51 -0500

OPT in canada

Postby asthachristian » Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:52:28 -0500

I am an international student from India. I will be graduating in may 2012. My concern is if I can carry out my Optional Practical Training in Canada? Does my status allow me to do that?
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:48:29 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby giftofgod » Sat, 11 Feb 2012 08:50:57 -0500

my best friend came on a student visa 6yrs ago. She graduated in 2004 and was not able to get a job so instead of applying for her opt, she went back to school. She then transferred to another school but in the process, she went out of status. Financially, she could not continue her studies so now she is not going to school. Is there a way for her to get a work permit? Or must she go back to school to renew her F-1 status, before applying for a temporary work permit?
What can she do please??
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 01:27:25 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby maarten de ridder » Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:38:46 -0500

Dear Sir,

I am planning to study at the University of Washington from September till December this year. Because of that, I plan to apply for an F1 visa around May.

Now my plan is to spend the summer in the US, from the 12th of July to the 8th of August. My program starts the 30th of September. I therefore wish to enter the US on the VWP, and leave 6 weaks before the start of the program. My question is whether this would create a conflict with my visa, which will be valid from the 30th of August. Would it confuse them that I enter the country under the VWP, with the visa already printed in my passport?

I live in the Netherlands.

maarten de ridder
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:33:37 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby marksen » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 05:33:38 -0500

One of my best friends came on a student visa 6yrs ago. She graduated in 2004 and was not able to get a job so instead of applying for her, she went back to school. She then transferred to another school but in the process, she went out of status. So, is there any way for her to get a work permit?

immigration law firm
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:30:45 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby hycee » Wed, 01 Oct 2014 07:41:08 -0500

Out of Status due to financial reasons
Hi im about to go see my international advisor but i want advise on how to approach the situation. I've been out of status for almost a month now. I was unable to register because i didnt pay my tuition for the semester. I will be able to afford to pay next semester and i want to apply for reinstatement because i dont want to go home as its expensive. Im just not sure if financial issues will look good to immigration for a reinstatement
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 07:10:59 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby ojayhenry » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:45:41 -0500

good day. Is it possible to still apply for a F-1 visa even though a family member will be applying for my permanent residence in the US?
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:33:10 -0500

Urgent! Please help

Postby daepa93 » Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:29:39 -0500

I am a Korean citizen currently studying at a university in the states. I have had a trip to Spain booked for a while now - planning to leave March 12th. When I re-entered the States from Korea after winter break, I received Form I-515A and was told to submit all the documents via mail by March 2nd. I submitted all my documents via email on March 2nd, including my travel itinerary (traveling to Spain from March 12th-22nd).

Whenever I call SEVIS, they tell me that there is nothing I can do to verify the status of the documents, and that I have to wait. I don't want to miss my trip if it isn't absolutely imperative that I refrain from international travel.

Can I leave the States without confirming? My return date is 20 days after my application was submitted. Please help!

TLDR : Will I be deported if I travel to Spain and return without processing of my I-515A documents?
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:27:12 -0500

Re: Ask our Immigration Attorney

Postby qaz123wsx » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:53:42 -0500

I am a graduate international student in Texas A&M University joined this fall 2015.

I worked for an online tutoring company, they told me that's an on-campus job but after consulting ISS (International Student Service) I get to know that's an off-campus job.

I worked for 10 hours and I returned their payment after knowing it's not allowed.

According to ISS -
1. I had violated the law so to regain my legal F-1 status, I need new i-20 and then I have to leave and re-enter the US
2. At the same time they say if I stay in US only then I don't have any problem, I will encounter problem only at port of entry.

I need your guidance on above mentioned points, what should I do and what they are saying is correct or not.

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:35:27 -0500

Return to “%s” Immigration Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests