The International Student Forum

Prepaid phone calling cards for living abroad

Need information on a calling card, mobile phone, or even which sim card to get - post your topic here!

Moderator: StudentGuru

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Prepaid phone calling cards for living abroad

Postby callingcardpartner » Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:18:57 -0500

Living in another country from the rest of my family I've had a lot of opportunities to try different methods of communication with my loved ones. The one I've found most rewarding and reliable is using a virtual calling card.

Most providers have been good and up front with their costs and how many minutes they offer. However, Runtelecom.com unfortunately has not been. They advertise a generous amount of minutes for a cheap price but unfortunately, there are a lot of hidden fees in the small print. The word hidden fee is in regard to connection fees. They charge a large amount of money to connect a phone call, even if the call is as short as thirty seconds or less. This really puts a damper on things when I get my family's answering machine and not a living person. I had a very short amount of minutes remaining and I wanted to call home and wish my little sister a quick happy birthday. Unfortunately, when I tried to call it told me that my minutes had been used up despite not using everything available on my card. As it turns out, Runtelecom.com also charges a monthly fee for unused minutes. Without explicitly putting that in their advertising.

Be careful of the fine print for virtual calling cards and make sure that you get a good, reliable one that doesn't overcharge you!.

Please share your ideas if you found same problems as me. Or please recommend me a good reliable one. Thanks!
callingcardpartner

Re: Prepaid phone calling cards for living abroad

Postby jahangir12 » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:47:11 -0500

I have similar question....I am still looking for calling cards...i saw this one and was wondering if anyone used adepto telecom cards before?

Thank you
jahangir12

Postby zaptel » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:28:24 -0500

About the hidden fees. Make sure you read all the fee, faqs and terms and condition. I belive if you read carefully you will find those hidden fees and they won't be hidden anymore.

I recommend Onesuite.com prepaid long distance services. It's a virtual calling card with extra featuers like voip and online faxing. No hidden fees and its prepaid like any other calling card.
zaptel

Postby bestinfor » Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:50:30 -0500

Well, there are lots of ways to call home cheaper...It now depends on your choice and how prepared are you are willing to explore the possibilities. If in UK and have SKY, it free to call america with just some pounds monthly. Also BT, Talktalk and some other companies are trying to do same.

One I have found best is the use of International Phone cards. But beware, some will say xxx minutes but never true. That's why you have some cards selling for £2.50 or three for £10. Can also buy some of these cards online but please make sure u buy over a secured web.

However, my favourite website is My Internet Mall This site spend alot of time researching and selecting the best of the best cards to call anywhere in the world. I know this because I am a regular home-caller. So far, my choices are Talkhome, Cobra and Globatel. I also prefer payment through paypal the site offered. I know my data are secured and I get waht i need on time. All the best.

Bestinfor...
bestinfor

Postby zaptel » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 02:17:19 -0500

Sanehakhan wrote:Calling cards are old story now, VoIP services has made life quite easy. I am using Vopium & Nimbuzz VoIP services on mobile they not only offer cheap calling solutions but they have extra features as well.

Not really as prepaid phone cards are still increasing in sales and it's still more than a $10 billion industry. Also using VoIP isn't as easy as using a phone card for making long distance and overseas calls. For example, I have a Onesuite account which can be use as a prepaid phone card or call through its VoIP service. If I need to call someone long distance, its much easier for me to pick up my phone and dial the access number and destination number (my pinless dialing feature is turned on) than turning my PC on, wait 1 minute, run the softphone (another 15 seconds) and dial the number. Plus I am stuck at my computer table for the duration of the call.

I know I can use Onesuite VoIP or other VoIP services without a computer but that means I need to buy a device which I don't think I need it right now.
zaptel

Postby ZXT » Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:52:24 -0500

I still know a lot of people using over the counter calling cards for making their long distance calls.
ZXT

Postby Random » Sun, 06 Jun 2010 08:33:09 -0500

I'm checking OneSuite website and looks like they got good rates for international calls.
Random

Postby zaptel » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:22:46 -0500

Random wrote:I'm checking OneSuite website and looks like they got good rates for international calls.

Yes their rates are very competitive, though it's not the cheapest but the quality of calls are better than other over the counter calling cards. They also have 24/7 customer support (toll free) which is accessible around the world just use their VoIP phone feature.
zaptel

Postby zaptel » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:49:38 -0500

Just got a newsletter from Onesuite about there new lowered rates (up to 70% off from previous rates)
zaptel

Postby jeannielew » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 06:13:31 -0500

I personally use Google Voice. In the US, we can call from our computers!

You can check rates here: https://www.google.com/voice/rates

If you find this useful, response saying thanks is appreciated
jeannielew

Return to “%s” Communication