The International Student Forum

Huge medical bill ! And I have no money!

Need information or advice about insurance, then post your query here!

Moderators: JChaim, Annemarie

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Huge medical bill ! And I have no money!

Postby helpme » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:20:42 -0500

I am in desperately need of someone to talk to and help me come out of this mess. I recently had to see an emergency doctor for a medical problem, i was fortunate to have the international student insurance coverage but not fortunate enough because now i know that my treatment has incurred a huge medical bill($2800) which is not covered under the policy, they say. It is evident that we are not allowed to work and I don't have any money to pay the bill. I wish I had known upfront that the services I was provided would cost me this much, I would surely have backed out that moment because I know it would be beyond my ability to pay. The fact being that this Medical Insurance policy is a new thing to me, and im not aware of this rules and regulations n i din't even know what to ask or what to verify when i was going to see a doctor. I don't know what's going to happen if i don't pay, some says i wil be in trouble,n i don't know what kind of trouble. Well, is there an organization or any such place that i can be helped.

This matter is really disturbing my mind and it's killing me! Please will some one write me something what little you know would be even a great help!

I really appreciate! Thanks

helpme
helpme

Re: Huge medical bill ! And I have no money!

Postby StudentGuru » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:42:54 -0500

Thanks for your post. Firstly, try not to panic! It is not the end of the world, and there will be a way to work out payments. The first thing to do is talk to the provider or hospital who is billing you - the invoice with the expenses you need to pay will have a telephone number on it and you should call them up straight away. There will be someone on the end of the phone and you just need to calmly explain your situation to them. Hopefully the person in the admin department will be compassionate and will be able to help you - and they will either help to reduce the cost you need to pay, or setup a payment plan whereby you can pay off a certain amount over time.

Give that a try and see how it goes - its your best option!

Hope it helps
Get social and join in the fun:

Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/intstudent
Comment on my blog - http://blog.internationalstudent.com
Become a Facebook Fan - http://www.facebook.com/internationalstudent
StudentGuru
International Guru

Postby helpme » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:03:27 -0500

thank you international guru, it does help! I will give a try on that and see how things goes!
I really appreciate your time! Thanks a lot
helpme

Postby thunderclap » Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:22:08 -0500

Yes, I agree with international guru. Find the international health representative on your campus and tell them your situation and they will definitely be able to help. I had something very similar when the insurance company were not ready to cover a claim of ~ $2500. I went to my international advisor and we were able to communicate with the company and get them to pay for the claim. Good luck!
thunderclap

Postby helpme » Sat, 26 Dec 2009 02:32:14 -0500

thunderclap wrote:Yes, I agree with international guru. Find the international health representative on your campus and tell them your situation and they will definitely be able to help. I had something very similar when the insurance company were not ready to cover a claim of ~ $2500. I went to my international advisor and we were able to communicate with the company and get them to pay for the claim. Good luck!

Yes i went to the international student advisor, n i hvae been adviced to bring along all the medical invoices n the coverage policy. But i was told the best they can do is check for any discripancies in the coverage and if it does show any then i would land up payin the amount n maybe i can get a pay plan. I m just wondering, did the services you took was covered under the insurance policy you had?
Thanks for you advice! look forward to hear!
helpme

Postby indigo-dreams » Mon, 08 Feb 2010 12:24:14 -0500

My family had a similar problem when my brother was rushed to ER, we had a $2500 bill for 3 stitches, and that was with no insurance at all. The billing company kept calling and calling, finally my dad said that he would pay but only $10 a month and they agreed. So the moral of the story is, they want the money off you, so if you tell them what you are willing to pay they will likely accept, because its better for them that you pay something rather than nothing. Good luck!
indigo-dreams

WLM: e2dependantsspeakout@live.com

Postby Femiluv » Tue, 01 Jun 2010 02:20:54 -0500

You always have to call your providers and ask them to pay for it. If they don't, work out a payment plan with the hospital. You may be allowed to pay as little as $20/month.
Femiluv

Postby style86 » Sat, 28 Jul 2012 03:12:06 -0500

I had faced a similar situation recently. But the Hospital chalked out a payment plan and now I have to pay $ 75 per month
style86

Return to “%s” Student Insurance