The International Student Forum

Technical Question About UL's

Need information or advice about insurance, then post your query here!

Moderators: JChaim, Annemarie

Forum rules
Our rules are simple:
- Spam will not be tolerated
- Never use abusive or offensive language
- ABSOLUTELY NO marketing or promotional links allowed

PLEASE NOTE THIS REGARDING MARKETING OR LINKS
All links posted in our forums are "nofollow" and carry no search engine weight.

If you wish to advertise or promote a service you offer to international students, please see the appropriate forum for Advertising/ Promotion. It's very simple, fail to adhere to these guidelines and you will be banned and removed - your are only wasting our time and your time!

Technical Question About UL's

Postby Patrick Kori » Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:58:19 -0500

Hello,

Regarding a UL (yes, I have read my prospectus and done Google searches).

What is the difference between COI and mortality expense. I know COI is assessed on the amount at risk, and Mortality expense on the CV, but I still do not know the difference. They both sound like the same thing.

Thanks.
Patrick Kori

Re: Technical Question About UL's

Postby cezal » Tue, 24 Jun 2008 03:19:12 -0500

M & E (mortality & expense) charges on VUL cash values are often only loosely related to expected mortality, more to expense. COIs are charged on (death benefit - Cash value), while M&E is charged on cash value. It really makes no sense to charge cash values for mortality, since they are already in the fund -- but tradition calls them M&E.

Current COI is often the same as mortality charge (and virtually always the same as guaranteed mortality, e.g., 2001 CSO), but some ULs include other expenses in COI as well. Most contracts permit the insurer to change current COI for non-mortality reasons, but some restrict it to changes due to mortality experience. In the 1990s, many carriers added a tax element to current COIs.
cezal

Re: Technical Question About UL's

Postby dawsonglen » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 02:14:31 -0500

While insurance is not known as an extremely innovative or exciting industry, new technology has created a platform for a number of exciting insurance information technology (IT) services for both consumers and insurance providers. Here we provide an overview of the top 5 innovative IT insurance services.pool supply
dawsonglen

Return to “%s” Student Insurance